Let Your Yoga Dance for Parkinson's Weekly Class
Let Your Yoga Dance is a unique healing movement and yoga fusion that has brought increased strength, flexibility, balance and joy to hundreds of Parkinson’s students.
Born of gentle yoga, dance and meditation in motion, this practice, created by Megha,offered in a safe, fun, and compassionate environment, is accessible to everyone.
Type of Event
- Core Strength
- Special Needs
Jan 4- March 31. Wednesdays 1-2 pm
Let Your Yoga Dance is Healing through Joy.
Absolutely no experience is necessary.
Ten Reasons Why People with Parkinson’s May Benefit from Let Your Yoga Dance
1) Break the isolation of being alone with a progressive disease. People with PD and their caregivers come together in a safe, easy environment to learn to dance their yoga.
2) Increase flexibility and strength, helping people with PD to safely practice repetitive movements while sitting in a chair and standing.
3) Promote mental activity by engaging in simple and challenging movements throughout the body.
4) Stimulate all the senses—hearing, seeing, tasting, touching, smelling, and feeling.
5) Develop body awareness and ability to walk, move, and dance confidently.
6) Engage the mind, body, and spirit simultaneously.
7) Play with all kinds of musical rhythms to stimulate the brain.
8) Fortify the breath. In the time-honored practice of yoga, breathing exercises naturally activate the parasympathetic nervous system, the relaxation response in the body. Deep breathing fosters deep relaxation, which is essential for someone with PD.
9) Create an express route to joy. This practice, like no other, enhances one’s joy quotient by a natural merging of yoga, dance, and movement, along with the use of fabulous world music.
10) Lessen symptoms of depression through focusing on fun, and the healing of the multi-dimensional self.
Intention for Let Your Yoga Dance for Parkinson’s
• To provide a safe and enjoyable movement space for people with Parkinson’s and friends/caregivers.
• To share techniques that help you breathe well and consistently through yoga pranayama.
• To provide simple, do-able yoga dance movements to help you move with grace and ease while increasing your physical strength and flexibility.
• To experience relaxation through moving meditation: chi gung and t’ai chi.
• To help increase balance through yoga poses, with the handy support of walls and chairs.
• To explore creativity through movement and sound to increase your JOY quotient.
• To expand the range of your vocal instrument through singing and toning, stretching the muscles of the face.
• To provide wonderful music to accompany our dance of yoga.
• To experience care and compassion for one another.
• Most importantly: to have fun!