Sivananda Yoga Teacher Training
May TTC is perfect weather at the ashram! This 4 week course, which offers a profound personal experience, will allow you to transmit the knowledge of yoga to others. The spiritual essence of yoga is learned through a combination of repeated practice and inspirational lessons. Among the many benefits that students report are greater spiritual aware
Type of Event
- Teacher Training
This 4 week course, which offers a profound personal experience, will allow you to transmit the knowledge of yoga to others. The spiritual essence of yoga is learned through a combination of repeated practice and inspirational lessons. Among the many benefits that students report are greater spiritual awareness, a sense of connection with the divine, a new-found sense of self-discipline, enhanced self-esteem, improved power of concentration and increased strength and flexibility.
A teaching certificate from the International SYVC is awarded upon successful completion of this immersion course. The International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Center (SYVC) has trained over 32,000 yoga teachers to date since 1969. The curriculum includes asanas, pranayama, meditation, Vedanta philosophy, anatomy/physiology, Bhagavad Gita, mantra and kriyas. Please inquire for a brochure and application form.
5:30 am Wake Up
6:00 - 7:30 am Satsang: meditation, chanting and lecture
8:00 - 10:00 am Yoga Asana and Pranayama Class
10:00 - 10:45 am Vegetarian Brunch
10:45 - 11:45 am Karma Yoga (Selfless Service)
12:00 - 1:00 pm Kirtan or Bhagavad Gita Class
2:00 - 4:00 pm Main Philosphy Lecture
4:00 - 6:00 pm How to Teach Yoga Class
6:00 - 6:45 pm Vegetarian Dinner
6:45 - 7:45 pm Free time for Homework completion
8:00 - 9:45 pm Satsang: meditation, chanting and lecture
One day a week will be free, but satsang still must be attended.
Upon successful completion of the course, students receive the Certificate of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers, entitled Yoga Siromani.
This training is registered by and fulfils the requirements for the 200-hour certification, for which graduates of the program are invited to register with the Yoga Alliance.
- Hatha Yoga Theory, The Astral Body
- The nadis (energy channels) and chakras (energy centers).
- Yoga Asanas, The Sun Salutation and the 12 basic yoga postures.
- Advanced Variations
- Effects of asanas on the physical and astral body
- Proper posture alignment
- Deep relaxation, Release of blocked energy
- Pranayama Kapalabhati, Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breath)
- Advanced pranayama exercises
- Meditation, Twelve Guidelines for Meditation
- Benefits of Meditation
- Mantras and mantra initiation (if requested)
- Yoga Philosophy and Psychology
- Techniques of meditation
- Mechanics of the mind
- Positive thinking techniques
- Obstacles to meditation.
- The Five Points of Yoga according to Swami Vishnu-
- Psychology of the Spiritual Aspirant
- Law of karma, Vedanta philosophy
- 4 classical Yoga paths : Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Raja Yoga
- 8 limbs of Yoga and Jnana Yoga (vedanta philosophy and techniques of self enquiry) .
- Teaching the sun salutation and the 12 basic postures
- The Basic Class
- Teaching beginners and intermediate students
- Adapt teaching to special groups
Anatomy and Physiology
- The effects of hatha yoga on major body systems
- Yogic Diet and Nutrition
- Ethical, health and spiritual reasons for vegetarianism
Bhagavad Gita Study
- commentary of the Bhagavad Gita, which is the most read classical scripture. It gives universal teachings on how to do your duty and conduct yourself in the battlefield of life.
- Positive emotional effects of chanting
- Correct pronunciation and mental attitude
- Mantra and sound healing
- Practice of opening of the heart to the divine
Arrival and Departure
Arrival: The course will begin in the Afternoon of Saturday with registration at 11:00 am. Please plan to arrive by Friday.
Departure: The Graduation Ceremony will be in the evening on Saturday. You can plan departure the following day.
The Sivananda TTC has been a wonderful experience – I learned a lot about yoga and particularly appreciate the holistic approach to living well and finding inner peace. The teachings of the Guru’s are inspiring and profound. The support system provided by the wonderful staff members and teachers created a very conducive and encouraging environment for such an intense program. It has been a great please taking this program in the beautiful ashram. I look forward to spreading the experience of peace and joy as handed down by the Guru’s teachings.
Vivian Lee, Singapore, May 2013
This was a truly life altering experience. This ashram is a magical place. I can’t believe how much I have learned and grown in the past month. TTC is amazing!
Kimara Himchak, Lumberton, NJ, May 2013
Somehow this month of TTC has felt like 3 days and 3 years at the same time. I’ve learned so much about Yoga and myself but more importantly I’ve learned that I know nothing at all. This has been an invaluable experience thanks to all the hard working staff and fellow Yogi’s. I’m so excited to practice and teach what I’ve learned here, continuing my growth and spiritual journey.
Mallory Olney, Tahoe City, CA, May 2013