Sivananda Yoga Teachers Training in China
This 4 week course, which offers a profound personal experience, will allow you to transmit the knowledge of yoga to others. The spiritual essence of yoga is learned through a combination of repeated practice and inspirational lessons. Among the many benefits that students report are greater spiritual awareness, a sense of connection with the divine, a new-found sense of self-discipline, enhanced self-esteem, improved power of concentration and increased strength and flexibility.
Type of Event
- Teacher Training
A teaching certificate from the ISYVC is awarded upon successful completion of this immersion course. The ISYVC has trained over 35,000 yoga teachers to date since 1969. The curriculum includes asanas, pranayama, meditation, Vedanta philosophy, anatomy/physiology, Bhagavad Gita, mantra and kriyas. Please inquire for a brochure and application form at
Back to Top
5:30 am Wake Up
6:00 - 7:30 am Satsang: meditation, chanting and lecture
8:00 - 10:00 am Yoga Asana and Pranayama Class
10:00 - 10:45 am Vegetarian Brunch
10:45 - 11:45 am Karma Yoga (Selfless Service)
12:00 - 1:00 pm Kirtan or Bhagavad Gita Class
2:00 - 4:00 pm Main Philosphy Lecture
4:00 - 6:00 pm How to Teach Yoga Class
6:00 - 6:45 pm Vegetarian Dinner
6:45 - 7:45 pm Free time for Homework completion
8:00 - 9:45 pm Satsang: meditation, chanting and lecture
1 day a week will be free, but satsang still must be attended
Back to top
Upon successful completion of the course, students receive the Certificate of the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers (ISYVC), entitled Yoga Siromani. This training is registered by and fulfils the requirements for the 200-hour certification, for which graduates of the program are invited to register.
Back to Top
- Hatha Yoga Theory, The Astral Body
- The nadis (energy channels) and chakras (energy centers)
- Yoga Asanas, The Sun Salutation and the 12 basic yoga postures.
- Advanced Variations
- Effects of asanas on the physical and astral body
- Proper posture alignment
- Deep relaxation, Release of blocked energy
- Pranayama Kapalabhati, Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breath)
- Advanced pranayama exercises, Kriyas
- Meditation, Twelve Guidelines for Meditation
- Benefits of Meditation
- Mantras and mantra initiation (if requested)
- Yoga Philosophy and Psychology
- Techniques of meditation
- Mechanics of the mind
- Positive thinking techniques
- Obstacles to meditation.
- The Five Points of Yoga according to Swami Vishnu-devananda
- Psychology of the Spiritual Aspirant
- Law of karma, Vedanta philosophy
- 4 classical Yoga paths : Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Raja Yoga
- 8 limbs of Yoga and Jnana Yoga (vedanta philosophy and techniques of self enquiry) .
- Teaching the sun salutation and the 12 basic postures
- The Basic Class
- Teaching beginners and intermediate students
- Adapt teaching to special groups
Anatomy and Physiology
- The effects of hatha yoga on major body systems
- Yogic Diet and Nutrition
- Ethical, health and spiritual reasons for vegetarianism
Bhagavad Gita Study
- commentary of the Bhagavad Gita, which is the most read classical scripture. It gives universal teachings on how to do your duty and conduct yourself in the battlefield of life.
- Positive emotional effects of chanting
- Correct pronunciation and mental attitude
- Mantra and sound healing
- Practice of opening of the heart to the divine
Back to Top
Puzhao Temple is nestled among the beautiful trees and streams of the serene Qingcheng Mountain, a world heritage site. This ancient temple is a famous retreat destination. The dining and residential halls were reconstructed about six years ago with modern features for an international clientele. The yoga training will be held in the quiet, newly-constructed meditation hall. Please refer to information on local climate prior to your visit. Detailed directions can be found here.
Back to Top
Though a basic knowledge of yoga postures and philosophy is helpful, beginners are welcome. The course is intense and demands discipline. You must be sincere in your desire to learn and follow the rules. Please note that in keeping with the ancient Yoga tradition, spiritual practices such as meditation, mantra chanting, ceremonies, selfless service and study of philosophy constitute a large part of this program. Please do not attend this course if you just want to practice postures, breathing and relaxation.
To preserve the spiritual atmosphere of the ashram, no meat, fish, eggs, alcohol, tobacco or narcotics are allowed. Participation in all classes and punctuality are mandatory.
What to Bring
Two sets of uniforms are provided, but you will need to bring modest, comfortable clothes for asana practice, plus casual clothes. Be prepared for cool weather and possibly rain. We recommend that you bring a waterproof jacket, sweaters, wool hat, T-shirts, cotton pants, night clothes, swimming suit, sun hat, shoes for nature walks and a pair of slip-on shoes.
Yoga mats, meditation cushions, meditation shawls or blankets, toiletries, notebooks, pens, flashlights, alarm clocks and water bottles are available in the boutique. Internet access is also available. Cell phones and SIM cards need to be purchased or equipped prior to arrival as no public phone is available.
The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda and the Bhagavad Gita with commentary by Swami Sivananda are available for purchase.
The course will be taught in English with Mandarin Chinese and Russian translation.