Yoga Philosophy Talks: A 6-Week Exploration of Patanajali’s Yoga Sutras
Whether you’ve studied only the eight-limbs of yoga, haven’t studied the Yoga Sutras at all, or are ready for a review, join Erin Mathiason ERYT YACEP for this 6-week series.
Wednesdays, September 23 – October 28, 5:30 – 7:00 MT
Investment: $90. Minimum of 5 participants to run the session.
Whether you’ve studied only the eight-limbs of yoga, haven’t studied the Yoga Sutras at all, or are ready for a review, join Erin Mathiason ERYT YACEP for this 6-week series. Learn:
• how to “unpack” the sutras
• the Western history of the text and why it’s important to our practice today
• how Patanjali defines Yoga as well as other key concepts
• Classical Sankhya philosophy and the tattvas
• the 8-limbs of Ashtanga Yoga from both an ancient and a modern perspective
• why an entire chapter/pada is devoted to the siddhis, yogic powers
• how Patanjali’s philosophy compares and contrasts to Buddhism and the ascetic traditions
Participants are invited to read any complete translation of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras during this 6-week study. We’ll use multiple translations throughout the course.
Erin is excited to bring back Yoga Philosophy Talks! Erin has taught yoga in Denver for 22 years, and has hundreds of hours of yoga philosophy training with Dr. Douglas Brooks. She is now completing Embodied Philosophy's 300-hour yoga philosophy training. Erin taught Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita, along with yoga history, to yoga teacher trainees at Mudra Yoga. Someday (hopefully sooner rather than later) she will finish writing her book on contemporary American Yoga history.